This focused issue on Recent Challenges in the Management of Thyroid Tumors is edited by Dr. Marcin Barczyński, MD, PhD, FEBS-ES, from Department of Endocrine Surgery, Third Chair of General Surgery, Jagiellonian University, Medical College, Kraków, Poland; and Dr. Maurizio Iacobone, MD, PhD, FEBS-ES, from Department of Surgery, Oncology and Gastroenterology, University of Padua, Italy.
Dr. Marcin Barczyński is Professor of Surgery at the Jagiellonian University, Medical College, Department of Endocrine Surgery. He is an active member of 11 scientific societies, including the European Surgical Association (ESA), the European Thyroid Association (ETA), the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO), the International Association of Endocrine Surgeons (IAES) and the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons (AAES).
Dr. Barczyński’s principle research interests have been in surgical disorders of the thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal glands. He has a particular interest in endocrine surgical oncology (thyroid and parathyroid cancer), and novel technologies in endocrine surgery (intraoperative nerve monitoring, intraoperative iPTH assay), as well as minimally invasive endocrine surgery (retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy, minimally invasive parathyroidectomy).
Dr. Barczyński is the author of more than 160 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters, and he serves on five editorial boards, including British Journal of Surgery, International Journal of Endocrine Oncology, Journal of Thyroid Disorders and Therapy, Minimally Invasive Surgery, and American Journal of Case Reports. According to the Web of Science Core Collection his citation index is equal to 1500, and h-index is 22.
Dr. Maurizio Iacobone is Associate Professor of Surgery, Chief of the Minimally Invasive Endocrine Surgery Unit at Department of Surgery, Oncology and Gastroenterology, University of Padua, Italy. Currently he is Secretary of the European Society of Endocrine Surgeons (ESES), Vice-President of the French Society of Endocrine Surgery (AFCE) and Regional Delegate of the Italian Society of Endocrine Surgery (SIEC). Dr. Iacobone is Member of International Association of Endocrine Surgery (IAES), American Association of Endocrine Surgery (AAES), International Surgical Society (ISS), European Network for Adrenal Tumors (ENS@T), International Neural Monitoring Study Group and Italian Society of Surgery (SIC).
Dr. Iacobone’s research interests mainly focus on adrenal diseases, thyroid diseases, parathyroid diseases and multiple endocrine neoplasms.
Focused issue outline:
- Recent challenges in the management of thyroid tumors
- Surgical management of medullary thyroid carcinoma
- Active surveillance for papillary thyroid microcarcinoma – why, who and how?
- Current management of follicular thyroid neoplasms
- Intraoperative nerve monitoring in thyroid oncology
- Benefits and risks of scarless thyroid surgery
- Impact of healthcare resources on management of indeterminate thyroid tumors
- Intraoperative parathyroid identification using fluorescent technologies
- Artificial intelligence in ultrasound risk assessment of thyroid cancer
- Current advances in non-surgical ablation of thyroid tumors
- Management of metastases to the thyroid gland
- European perspective on active surveillance for papillary thyroid microcarcinoma – are we ready?
- Thyroid oncology in pregnancy
The series “Recent Challenges in the Management of Thyroid Tumors” was commissioned by the editorial office, Annals of Thyroid without any sponsorship or funding. Marcin Barczyński and Maurizio Iacobone are serving as the unpaid Guest Editors for the series.